1. One rotten apple will spoil the whole barrel. or One scabbed sheep mars the whole flock. 害群之马（千里之堤毁于蚁穴）
2. As you make your bed, so you will sleep on it.（有因必有果）
3. If anything can go wrong, it will.（哀兵必败）
4. Tread on a worm and it will turn.（狗急跳墙）
5. Many words will not fill a bushel.（空言无补）
6. He that will not when he may, when he will he may have nay.（好机会不要错过）
7. The vicar of Bray will be vicar of Bray.（见风使舵）
8. He that stays in the valley will not get over the hill.（习惯成自然）
9. The truth shall set you free, or The truth will set you free.（真理让你自由）
10. Avoid the pleasure which will bite tomorrow.（及时行乐）
1. Waste not,want not. 俭以防匮。
2. From saving comes having. 富有来自节俭。 3. A penny saved is a penny gained. 省一文是一文。
4. Take care of the pence and the pound will take care of themselves. 金钱积少便成多。 5. Frugality is an estate alone. 节俭本身就是一宗财产。
6. He that regards not a penny,will lavish a pound. 小钱不知节省，大钱将滥花。 7. Small gains bring great wealth. 积小利，成巨富。
8. Many a little makes a mickle. 积少便成多。 9. As the touchstone tries gold,so gold tries man. 试金之石可试金，正如黄金能试人。
10. Courage and resolution are the spirit and soul of virtue. 勇敢和坚决是美德的灵魂。 11. The path to glory is always rugged. 光荣之路常坎坷。
12. Nothing is difficult to the man who will try. 世上无难事，只要人肯试。 13. The fire is the test of gold;adversity of strong man. 烈火试真金，困苦炼壮士。
14. Great hopes make great man. 远大的希望造就伟大的人物。 15. No way is impossible to courage. 勇士面前无险路。
16. A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner. 平静的大海决不能造就出熟练的水手。 17. The good seaman is known in bad weather. 坏天气下才能识得出良好的海员；要识好海员，须凭坏天气。
18. The best hearts are always the bravest. 行为最勇敢的人心地总是最善良。 19. We must not lie down,and cry,God help us. 求神不如求己。
20. He that falls today may be up again tomorrow. 今天跌倒的人也许明天就会站起。 21. Rome was not built in a day. 罗马并非一日可建成；坚持必成。
22. Success belongs to the persevering. 胜利属于坚忍不拔的人。 23. We must repeat a thousand and one times thatperseverance is the only road to success. 我们要多次重申：不屈不挠是取得胜利的唯一道路。
24. Perseverance is failing nineteen times and succeeding the twentieth. 十九次失败，到第二十次获得成功，这就叫坚持。 25. Step by step the ladder is ascended. 登梯需要逐级登。
26. Adversity leads to prosperity. 困苦通向昌盛。 27. Patience and application will carry us through. 忍耐和专心会使我们度过难关。
28. Fortune often rewards with interest those that have patience to wait for her. 做事只要有耐心，到头总会有好运；耐心候好运，好运常会来。 29. All things will come round to him who will but wait. 只要肯等待，一切都会按时来。
30. Constant dropping wears the stone. 滴水不绝可穿石。 31. Omelets are not made without breaking of eggs. 鸡蛋不打破，蛋卷做不成；不甘愿吃苦，则预期效果达不到。
32. The world is a ladder for some to go up and others to go down. 世界好似一把梯，有人上去有人下。 33. There needs a long apprenticeship to understand the mystery of the world's trade. 要知世事奥秘多，须要长期作学徒。
34. Life is sweet. 生活是可爱的；人无不好生（恶死）。 35. Where there is life,there is hope. 生命不息，希望长在。
36. Life is not all beer and skittles. 人生并不全是吃喝玩乐。 37. Much water runs by the mill that the miller knows not of. 眼前发生许多事，有些我们并不知。
38. Fortune knocks once at least at every man's door. 人人都有走运的一天。 39. If you are too fortunate,you will not know yourself; if you are too unfortunate,nobody will know you. 运气太好，见人不睬；运气太坏，无人理会。
40. Every man is the architect of his own fortune. 每一个人都是自身幸福的建筑师。 41. Happy is he who knows his follies in his youth. 记得年轻时所作蠢事的人是幸福的。
42. Misfortunes never (seldom) come alone (single). 祸不单行。 43. Misfortune is a good teacher. 不幸是良好的教师。
44. Misfortunes come at night. 祸常生于不测。 45. Misfortunes tell us what fortune is. 恶运临头后，才知幸运贵。
46. Adversity makes a man wise,not rich. 患难能使人聪明，但不能使人富有。 47. Live and learn. 活到老，学到老。
48. It is never too old to learn. 为学不怕年高。 49. A man becomes learned by asking questions. 要长学问，就得多问；多问则业精。
50. There is no royal road to learning. 学问无坦途。
A bad beginning makes a bad ending.
A bad thing never dies.
A bad workman always blames his tools.
A bird in the hand is worth than two in the bush.
A boaster and a liar are cousins-german.
A bully is always a coward.
A burden of one's choice is not felt.
A candle lights others and consumes itself.
A cat has 9 lives.
A cat may look at a king.
A close mouth catches no flies.
A constant guest is never welcome.
Actions speak louder than words.
Adversity leads to prosperity.
Adversity makes a man wise, not rich.
A fair death honors the whole life.
A faithful friend is hard to find.
A fall into a pit, a gain in your wit.
Believe in the future Written by Shizhi Translated by Chen Xiahong When spiders net closed down my coil base mercilessly, When lingering smoke of ashes lamented sadness of poor, I still insisted on spreading disappointed ashes, Writing these words: believe in the future, with beautiful snow. When my purple grape changed into dew in later autumn, When my flowers leaned close to other's arms, I still insisted on using heavily frosted withered vine, Writing these words : believe in the future, on the bleak ground. I will point those waves which are pouring into horizon, I will support the sea which are supporting the sun, I will flicker dawn, which is a warm and beautiful pen-holder, Writing these words: believe in the future, with childish handwriting. Why should I believe in the future firmly? The reason is that I believe in people's eyes in the future, She will have the eyelash which can unfold those dirty of history, And she will have the sight which can understand chapter of years. For our rotting muscular, And disconsolation of stray and pain of failure, No matter they will give them moved tears and sincerely sympathy, Or they will show us scornful smiles and ironic taunt. For our backbone, And those innumerable explore, stray, failure and success, I firmly believe in that people must show their warm, considerable and fair judge, Right, I am looking forward to their judge. Dear my friends, please believe in the future firmly, Believe in tenacious hard work, Believe in youth which can defeat death, Believe in the future and value your life. (Written in Beijing, 1968.) 夏红附注：刚好在网上发现罗伯特•贝洛尔德和浙大教师王之光和《子鼠》编辑蓝天共同翻译的《相信未来》。
该译稿译于2006年。如下： Believe in the Future By Shi Zhi When cobwebs relentlessly clog my stove When its dying smoke sighs for poverty I will stubbornly dig out the disappointing ash And write with beautiful snowflakes: Believe in the Future When my overripe grapes melt into late autumn dew When my fresh flower lies in another's arms I will stubbornly write on the bleak earth With a dry frozen vine: Believe in the Future I point to the waves billowing in the distance I want to be the sea that holds the sun in its palm Take hold of the beautiful warm pen of the dawn And write with a child-like hand: Believe in the Future The reason why I believe so resolutely in the future is: I believe in the eyes of the people of the future Their eyelashes that can brush away the ash of history Their pupils that can see through the texts of time It doesn't matter whether people shed contrite tears For our rotten flesh, or our hesitancy, or the bitterness of our failure Whether they view us with sneers or deep-felt sympathy Or scornful smiles or pungent satire I firmly believe that people will judge our spines And our endless explorations, losses, failures and successes With an enthusiastic, objective and fair evaluation Yes, I await their judgement anxiously Friends, please let us believe in the future Believe in our unbending striving Believe in our youth that can conquer death Believe in the Future: believe in Life.。
IDEAL 理想篇 Do not , for one repulse , give up the purpose that you resolved to effect .(William Shakespeare , British dramatist) 不要只因一次失败，就放弃你原来决心想达到的目的。
（英国剧作家 莎士比亚.W.）Don't part with your illusions . When they are gone you may still exist , but you have ceased to live. (Mark Twain , American writer)不要放弃你的幻想。当幻想没有了以后，你还可以生存，但是你虽生犹死。
（（美国作家 马克·吐温）I want to bring out the secrets of nature and apply them for the happiness of man . I don't know of any better service to offer for the short time we are in the world .(Thomas Edison , American inventor) 我想揭示大自然的秘密，用来造福人类。我认为，在我们的短暂一生中，最好的贡献莫过于此了。
（美国发明家 爱迪生. T.）Ideal is the beacon. Without ideal , there is no secure direction ; without direction , there is no life .( Leo Tolstoy , Russian writer)理想是指路明灯。没有理想，就没有坚定的方向；没有方向，就没有生活。
（俄国作家 托尔斯泰. L .）If winter comes , can spring be far behind ?( P. B. Shelley , British poet )冬天来了，春天还会远吗？（ 英国诗人， 雪莱. P. B.） If you doubt yourself , then indeed you stand on shaky11 ground .(Ibsen , Norwegian dramatist )如果你怀疑自己，那么你的立足点确实不稳固了。 （挪威剧作家 易卜生）If you would go up high , then use your own legs ! Do not let yourselves carried aloft; do not seat yourselves on other people's backs and heads . (F. W . Nietzsche , German Philosopher)如果你想走到高处，就要使用自己的两条腿！不要让别人把你抬到高处；不要坐在别人的背上和头上。
（德国哲学家 尼采. F. W.） It is at our mother's knee that we acquire our noblest and truest and highest , but there is seldom any money in them.( Mark Twain , American writer )就是在我们母亲的膝上，我们获得了我们的最高尚、最真诚和最远大的理想，但是里面很少有任何金钱。（美国作家 马克·吐温）Living without an aim is like sailing without a compass. Alexander Dumas (Davy de La Pailleterie, French Writer)生活没有目标就像航海没有指南针。
（法国作家 大仲马. A.） The ideals which have lighted my way , and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully 19 have been kindness , beauty and truth .(Albert Einstein , American scientist) 有些理想曾为我们引过道路，并不断给我新的勇气以欣然面对人生，那些理想就是——真、善、美。 （美国科学家 爱因斯坦 . A .）The important thing in life is to have a great aim , and the determination to attain it. (Johan Wolfgang von Goethe , German Poet and dramatist) 人生重要的事情就是确定一个伟大的目标，并决心实现它。
（德国诗人、戏剧家 歌德 . J . M .）The man with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds .(Mark Twain , American writer)具有新想法的人在其想法实现之前是个怪人。 （美国作家 马克·吐温）The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today .(Franklin Roosevelt , American president) 实现明天理想的唯一障碍是今天的疑虑。
（美国总统 罗斯福. F .）When an end is lawful and obligatory, the indispensable means to is are also lawful and obligatory .(Abraham Lincoln , American statesman) 如果一个目的是正当而必须做的，则达到这个目的的必要手段也是正当而必须采取的。（美国政治家 林肯. A.） STRUGGLE 奋斗篇Genius only means hard-working all one's life .( Mendeleyer , Russian Chemist)天才只意味着终身不懈的努力。
（俄国化学家 门捷列耶夫）I have nothing to offer but blood , toil tears and sweat . (Winston Churchill, British Politician)我所能奉献的没有其它，只有热血、辛劳、眼泪与汗水。（英国政治家 丘吉尔 . W.）Man errs so long as he strives. (Johan Wolfgang Goethe , German poet and dramatist)人只要奋斗就会犯错误。
（德国诗人、剧作家 歌德. J. W.）My fellow Americans , ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country . My fellow citizens of the world ; ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man . (John Kennedy , American President )美国同胞们，不要问国家能为你们做些什么，而要问你们能为国家做些什么。全世界的公民们，不要问美国将为你们做些什么，而要问我们共同能为人类的自由做些什么。
（美国总统 肯尼迪. J.）Our destiny offers not the cup of despair , but the chalice of opportunity . (Richard Nixon, American President )命运给予我们的不是失望之酒，而是机会之杯。（美国总统 尼克松 . R.）Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet . (Jean Jacques Rousseau , French thinker) 忍耐是痛苦的，但它的果实是甜蜜的。
（法国思想家 卢梭. J. J.）Progress is the activity of today and the assurance of tomorrow . (Emerson, American thinker )进步是。
One rotten apple will spoil the whole barrel. or One scabbed sheep mars the whole flock. 害群之马（千里之堤毁于蚁穴）As you make your bed, so you will sleep on it.（有因必有果）If anything can go wrong, it will.（哀兵必败）Tread on a worm and it will turn.（狗急跳墙）Many words will not fill a bushel.（空言无补）He that will not when he may, when he will he may have nay.（好机会不要错过）The vicar of Bray will be vicar of Bray.（见风使舵）He that stays in the valley will not get over the hill.（习惯成自然）The truth shall set you free, or The truth will set you free.（真理让你自由）Avoid the pleasure which will bite tomorrow.（及时行乐）。
过去属于死神，未来属于你自己。 —— 雪莱
未来是光明而美丽的，爱它吧，向它突进，为它工作，迎接它，尽可能地使它成为现实吧！ —— 车尔尼雪夫斯基